3 Part Test:
1. Threshold inquiry: Whether the state law has, in fact, operated as a substantial impairment of a contractual relationship.
– Does not have to be a total destruction of contractual obligations.
– Has this particular industry been regulated in the past.
2. legitimate public purpose: if the state law substantially impairs, then the state must have a significant and legitimate public purpose behind the regulation.
– Such as remedying broad & general social or economic problems.
– Identifying a legitimate state interest guarantees that the State is exercising its police power, rather than providing a benefit to special interests.
3. Once a legitimate public purpose has been identified: Whether the means to the end are reasonable and appropriate.
Unless the State is a contracting party, the court will defer to legislative judgment as to the necessity & reasonableness of a particular measure.
We have located some similar legal questions and legal question categories. Check out these challenging questions that askquestions about Judicial Review and are similar to Briefly give an outline on the 3 Part Test.. Also, we have included a list of some of our more popular legal question categories. These categories are based on what everyone is asking and answering.